If you have a paying guest in your home, you have a responsibility to keep them safe. This includes updating gas safety certificates/annual gas service records, which must be certified by Registered Gas Safe engineers, and carrying out a fire risk assessment of the home every 12 months.
It is also recommended that you fit carbon monoxide detectors. These should be British Standard approved, with a battery life of up to five years. Fit them in each room with a gas appliance.
Every homestay host is subject to common law, and has a duty to make sure their property is safe.
We therefore ask that all hosts follow this fire safety advice:
Here are five easy steps to help you complete your fire risk assessment: